So you probably want to know about what I've been doing up here for the past two weeks. Many things things deserve their own blog post, so I'll leave the out for now (sneak peak: running sled dogs on a scooter!). For this post, I will focus on my job, because I'm sure many of you are curious what it is I'm actually doing up here, because I'm just starting to figure that out also.
First, I must say that summer has finally hit this week. Leaves are sprouting. Flowers are blossoming. Mosquitoes are buzzing. On Monday, the wind finally switched directions and started coming from the land instead of the ocean, so the temps have been in the upper 50s, not mid-30s like for the past weeks. The sea ice has all migrated away. Actually, I saw a seal swimming near shore last week. The tundra is also starting to pop with color.
So... my job. I teach kids about the natural and cultural resources of the area. We provide 3 different free programs for kids:
- Story & a movie: For younger kids, I'll read few story books and show a couple movie clips for an hour. The stories and videos all relate to a selected topic and it can be difficult and time consuming to find enough media related to one theme. But I do get to watch Bill Nye the Science Guy.
- Art class: For all ages of kids (and I was quick to find out that the given age ranges don't necessarily determine who is actually going to show up to your programs). It is what it is, an art class focusing on a local natural or cultural topic.
- Jr. Rangers: For school-age kids, this is a two hour program that offers a lot of freedom. One can set up a game outside and do a science experiment inside or show a movie clip all in the same program.
The kids here run around unattended. It is a small town, after all. Some of them have cell phones, which might be used to keep track of them, but more often they are used for playing the latest Lady Gaga songs (such lewd lyrics). The kids will jump up in your lap if the feel like it, which is a lot like the daycare and not like a national park, but like I said, our park is different. Really awesome, funny kids.
I thought it would be cool to have kids make storytelling knives out of popsicle sticks and create their own symbols and stories to for an art project. However, all my research (from books and personal contacts) told me that storyknifing was a Yu'pik tradition, from people who don't live in this area of Alaska. I decided to switch projects, but I was encouraged by my boss to do this project later, despite my concerns.
Whoops, the photo is tilted sideways. Okay, tired of typing. More blogging later.
I just got your blog site from your Dad. I had some catching up to do. Sounds like wonderful experience, new foods, sites, people........
ReplyDeleteMid June the days must be getting longer and a little bit warmer. The Salmon should be running soon. Hope you can catch and eat some. From one of your old enteries keep "high stepping" and watch where you sit. Beware pretzels can make you thristy. Love Always Aunt Lori
That looks like a great project!! You are the creative one. Kudos to you.
ReplyDeleteBarb