I finally was able to use my B-3 aviation safety training last Tuesday, when I was able to go flying over the parks with our backcountry ranger. Just so you know, I work at the headquarters for 4 different nationally-designated parklands, but we are not actually located within any of the parks. The closest parkland is 10 miles away from Kotzebue, which sounds close but it is across the sound. And I don't have a boat. In fact, every thing is across the sound because I live on a peninsula. So in the summertime the only way to get to the parks is bey boat or plane (in winter, you can use a snowmachine). So this was my first opportunity to actually see the parks I'm teaching people about.
I sat directly behind the pilot and I was only able to talk to him via the headset install in the helmet. The plane took of and as soon we were in the air I was reminded of how small Kotzebue is. In minutes we were over the point I hiked to in my last blog post. All this helped to give me a perspective of how large our parklands are (11.8 million acres). On our 2 1/2 hour flight, we saw only a quarter of these park areas.
We started inland after crossing the sound, following winding, braided rivers between loping, treeless hills. And speaking of trees, I finally saw some along these rivers. Large, round rocks were completely visible beneath the crystalline blue, frigid water the wound its way across the land down below. Sections of the tundra broke into sections of patterned polygons, shaped by the interactions of surface water with permafrost. Caribou trails spread across the vast expanse below, creating a curious net that held the answer as to why caribou can walk across tundra with such ease as I trip over myself with every step. Only land this wide can support hundreds of thousands of migrating caribou each year. Undeveloped. Pristine.
The flight turned southwest, toward the coast. The mountains we flew between became rolling hills we could fly over. A creek brought us to the coast of Cape Krusenstern National Monument. Of our four parklands, Krusenstern seemed to have the least scenic features, based on my reading. I don't know why I thought so. Though the land is relatively flat, it contains rows of beach ridges that contain evidence of 4,000 years of human use along the coast. I was able to see ancient dwellings from the sky, along with the archeology camps there to study them. Glass lagoons and pools dotted the coast, reflecting images of the light and clouds above.
As we crossed back over the sound towards Kotzebue, I pondered about how bad I wanted take my helmet off. Once grounded and free of clothing that contained all I needed to survive a firebombing, I was fully able to reflect on the experience. For two-and-a-half hours, I was free from dusty, isolated Kotzebue and able to experience the great vastness of the Arctic I'm educating others to protect.
That last picture is AMAZING. I'm so excited, just all around excited about everything... I can't even put together a good comment.
ReplyDeleteFantastic. I would think even having to wear that helmet would be worth it to have such a wonderful experience. It is hard to imagine the beauty and wonder of all you were able to see. Keep it up!!!
ReplyDelete